View Single Post
Old 03-27-24, 05:38 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I found these statements on the L’Eroica web site. The rules have a lot of words about the aero brake levers and cable routing, but nothing very specific about the brake calipers. In my opinion, dual pivot calipers would probably not get you kicked out.

This one is for the Italian event: i) There are no restrictions regarding the type of brakes, as long as they are in keeping with the period of construction of the bicycle and they are safe.

This one is for the California event: i) there are no particular rules on the type of brakes as long as they are in line with the construction period of the bicycle and that they are efficient for safety reasons.

For California, aero brake levers are okay: c) we prefer the traditional brake lever setup on the bicycles, brake cables pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the top tube of main frame), however, starting in 2017, aero brake levers without built in shifters will be allowed.

It seems that the Italian event has plenty of entries, so they aren't worried about losing a few people who don't want to comply. On the other hand, California is trying to attract more entrants, so they are more flexible. In the end, it's really just cosplay for bikes. There are a few concessions made for safety, but the idea is to experience what the old timers had to put up with back in the day.
Even this is subject to interpretation by the local judges.

I had a friend that showed up to the start in Gaiole on a perfect 1970's era Alan cyclocross bike. They told him that his brakes were non compliant (canti's) - while he was welcome to do the ride, he could not get his ride card stamped, therefore despite doing the long ride, his finish wasn't registered.