Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I ride a Merlin (before Litespeed bought them) from 2001. 20 years later and a few group updates I still ride it regularly. Super bike and I would be very sad if something happened to it. Probably weighs 18 pounds, maybe a little less when i put my climbing wheelset on it. It is a magic carpet ride and I always come home with a smile on my face, shaking my head and thinking that this thing is still the cat's meow. No, not as light weight as my carbon bike, not as stiff, but super handling and all day comfort. 20 years old frame and strong and very durable. I say to the OP, get one and you will be happy. Not knowing what the budget is, it is hard to advise. Lynskey would be a good choice and they are pretty well priced. If you can drop a lot of money, Moots RSL is very nice too.
+1. Still loving and riding my Cyrene, ca. 2003.
FWIW, I don't think Litespeed bought Merlin, rather ABG bought both Litespeed and Merlin. Merlin was owned by Saucony for a little while. Regardless, I think for the most part that the same workers and factory were making the bikes so don't really care about the owner.

As to a reason, or factors that went into decision.. probably some would say irrational or misguided. 1) Wanted a standard geometry road bike. 2) wanted a bike that would be 'forever'. 3) Aluminum was stiff and harsh. 4) Steel rusted. 5) Carbon would break if you even just breathed too hard.