Old 11-30-21, 05:33 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Unfortunately it is possible to spend a lot of money on a used absolute piece of crap if you are totally clueless. I came across a discussion about a used tandem recumbent for sale at another site. The buyer was interested in buying it so that he and his 12 year old disabled daughter could ride together. The asking price was $2K. The tandem is a bottom-of the-line 70 pound tandem. The seller explained that he bought it 7 years ago to ride with his own disabled son. When asked about the condition, the seller replied that it was like-new and had only 100 miles on it. I was astounded that the prospective buyer didn't see that as a bright red flag. How on earth did this person think that he and his 12 year old daughter would have a better time pedaling this behemoth than the first owner?
Could be all sorts of reasons that it never got used.
I bought Trike with back bench to take my disabled kids out, they didn't like it so I sold it with maybe a quarter mile on it.
Then I bought a dual tag-along (Weehoo TWO) and whilst it got some more use I don't think I got both kids in it at the same time and sold it after doing maybe 10 miles. They loved it but it proved essentially impossible to take it, my bike, and both kids in the car at the same time.
Now I have a Burley trailer which due to various illnesses and weather has done a 1 mile test ride.
And a single Weehoo that for the same illness/weather reasons has covered maybe 10 miles.

So particularly with disabled kids, a low mileage doesn't mean it crap, it just means it didn't get used.

I love the idea of a tandom recumbent but I suspect I'll have absolutely no ability to transport it anywhere.