Old 05-12-22, 06:18 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
All,

I am curious how some of you are calibrating bike computers over longer measured course lengths - at least a mile if not 2-3+.

I have done the wheel count method over a measured distance. I want to say I used 200 feet, maybe 300 feet. On the 2 bikes I ride there is a slight variation in the distance over a routine ride I do. I find that a bit odd - if the wheel count method should be accurate then the numbers should line up closer than what they do.

That brings me to my question on calibrating over longer courses. Surveyors measuring wheels can keep track of distance while rolling, as opposed to stretching out a tape (even a long 100-300 foot reel tape) and resetting it. Plus - it would allow you to measure continuously however far you want to go. I think a lot of them max out at 9,999 feet. So you would be able to fit a mile in there at 5,280. Or, if you went further than 9,999 feet the counter would just start over. If you factor that in to the counter turning over - say the reading is 3,200. At 9,999 before that would be 13199 feet, or about 2.5 miles.

Just curious what others have done. My theory with the measured course is it would average out other inaccuracies that could be at play over a shorter distance - and that is what I believe the root of my mismatched distance readings is. They are close, but I notice they are different. I'd like to get them closer - and I don't know which one of the two is the most accurate.
No one cares that much.

​​​​​​The very-involved approach might not be better than taking the average of multiple shorter runs.

Do you think you can ride a bike straight for 2.5 miles?

You see a "slight variation" but don't reveal the numbers. It sounds like one is always lower than the other. That would be a "difference", not "variation".

What are the two bikes? Is the difference always lower for one bike? If so, make you ride one bike straighter (faster)?

Note that this depends on load and tire pressure.

Use circumference numbers for each based on the average distances measured. That should get the numbers closer (if one is always less than the other).

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-12-22 at 06:30 AM.