Old 05-11-16, 07:54 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I comment on many of the FMV questions that are posted in this "What's it worth?" thread. If I don't have experience with the bike due to age, make, or model, I tend to stay mute, for example most Bianchis and other Italian bikes. Sometimes if I don't have experience, but can draw parallels, due to groupset, age, other components, or similar tube set bikes, I use those as a guideline. I have no formal bike shop experience, but have been a buyer or seller many times over. Most of all, I do my homework, share my experiences, and follow bike pricing in several markets as I have bought or sold in NYC, NJ, MA, FL, OH, PA, and IN, both urban and rural markets.

Everyones comments are welcome, after all we have a constitutional right to free speech, but I think when a noob has a FMV question, they would be best served with objective advice and opinions formed from actual transactions, not airing your opinion or biases for or against a particular make or country of origin (well maybe you can jump all over Murrays and Huffys). It makes me cringe when I see the Cannondale, Trek, Allez, or Japanese bike fanboys get all excited and go well beyond giving an objective fmv assessment. Share your enthusiasm for a brand or bike, but give objective knowledge. IMHO, @RobbieTunes is an excellent brand ambassador for a certain bike line, I can't seem to recall which, but his knowledge and expertise are spot on, not colored by a pair of Miami Vice sunglasses.

Also, as on ebay, craigslist asking prices are meaningless for giving advice. Unless you are a party to the actual closed transaction, there is no basis for a FMV guestimate from asking prices.

Cheers,
Oddjob2
Likes For oddjob2: