JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingpoo
After several test rides I can say I don't find recumbent bikes practical... They seem comfortable for the flats where you don't have cars to deal with. When I have cars I want to be able to pivot my head around which isn't nearly as easy when reclining and they seem to require mirrors for any rear visibility. The 2 wheelers were the most maneuverable, but I wouldn't want to ride through the city or tight spaces. I don't see them being easy to bail off of, maybe rolling to the side but wouldn't likely get far enough away to avoid a wreckless car. The selection of tires for most of them seems pretty limited at least on the small front wheels, so good luck finding something puncture resistant for commuting. Ithink all of these reasons explain why I see lots of spandex racers with recumbents on bike trails, but almost no recumbents actually commuting through the city very often.
I biked to work on recumbent bikes frequently Spring - Fall for about 12 years. (Now retired.) Riding from the suburbs to a hospital in downtown Indy. Not NYC but lots of traffic. Correct that cannot turn around to look to the rear but mirrors work well for that. Take-a-Look mirror is great. Suitable 20"/406 tires are available - maybe less so during covid times but that is true for many bike parts. Never felt the need to jump off of my bike to avoid a wild car.

Last edited by JanMM; 08-21-21 at 03:13 PM.