View Single Post
Old 10-01-21, 10:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have found most people with unleashed dogs on the trails have been pretty good about calling their dogs when encountering someone on a mountain bike, and I have never had a bad encounter with a dog in the woods (along the road is a different story). Of course, there are some dogs that should not be off leash anywhere, and I am just going to have to trust the owners better judgement.... which I am aware is not always sound. But I am trusting other peoples' better judgement pretty much every time I ride a bike on the road, aren't I?

I don't know the particulars of your situation, but I can't see a 5-year old mountain biking in the places I typically run into dogs off leash. If this is in an urban area, then people need to call their dogs when asked, and it sounds like you just need to get into someone's face if they don't.
I too have had more problems with dogs road riding and I have had zero problems with dogs mountain biking on trails through the woods. Road riding...people that leave their dogs loose in the yard and then it comes out and chases you or starts biting at the leg. When that has happened I squirt the dog with my water bottle or kick the dog in the face.

People that mountain bike on the trails don't bring their dogs with them if they know the dog will be aggressive towards other people. At least that's been my experience.