Thread: Dogs unleashed
View Single Post
Old 10-10-21, 11:16 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I think entitlement is a two way street and reflexively refering to arbitrary rules instead of common sense is the domain of a society that cannot government itself. Some people like to bash people with rules to make themselves feel better. I am sure those same people ignore similar rules when they exceed the speed limit or cross the street outside designated crosswalks.

Personally I am a responsible dog owner who has worked diligently since she was a puppy on socialization and the skills of heeling, recall and proper approach. My dog is well behaved on the trails I run or ride. Fortunately, in my area that is still respected. When another person approaches I assess whether they appear concerned. If so I leash my dog (she has a short leash attached that I just hold).

Let us also consider the context. Hopefully we are not talking city parks but rather more back country locals used for mountain biking. In a city type park with a high user density on leash makes sense. In a setting where I may encounter one or two, or no other people, on leash throughout doesn't.

Also, trail dogs are a common part of mountain bike sub culture. They are usually happy, friendly dogs that are used to seeing riders as part of their pack. Getting mad at that will, in some ways, put one outside the norms for the activity one is doing.

If we consider some of those things then a person venting their spleen because of some administrative rule can also be seen as entitlement. Getting angry in the woods, for no tangible reason is just as aggressive in some sense as a dog that is misbehaved. Again, fortunately in the areas I frequent, both dogs and humans generally are well behaved.

I understand the fear of dogs. However, like a fear of water that stops someone from learning to swim, not dealing with that fear in a rational way and expecting everyone else to compensate generally won't work out that well. There will always be dogs and water. Equally, I would be just as direct in saying that dog owners need to be responsible for socializing their dogs and maintaining appropriate control in terms of recall or use a leash.

My POV would be to save the agro for dogs (and owners) who are ill behaved.