View Single Post
Old 12-16-21, 01:56 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
OK I see now, that "training wheels" comment was out of line, and I apologize. Not having used the program at all, it was ignorant of me to cast aspersions on it. It wasn't macho though (I think...) more like laziness, since it seems like an unnecessary step to me. I'm definitely not fast, but I try to avoid things that slow me down... unless I just enjoy them for some reason! I see now the template has value, so it is not a wasted step.

On filing versus milling miters, sorry if I've told this story here before: I worked for Glenn Erickson, in about 1979 we got a small milling machine and set it up for mitering, but Glenn didn't like it, he kept on filing his. (We each made our own frames back then.) Anyway we raced once, he filed a miter and I milled mine, and he beat me. Even though the mill was already set up for mitering! I think mine may have been a little more precise, but his was in the range where it wouldn't matter a gnat's eyelash inside a lug, gaps that the filler would bridge instantly. Perfect for all practial purposes, in about a minute, maybe less.

If I had a mill I'd use it for mitering, but since I don't, I have to file, for now. I'm thinking of setting up for abrasive mitering, but I know a few guys who tried it and dropped it, too much dust and grit everywhere. But that's getting off the subject, sorry.

I agree that anything that helps beginners gain confidence and precision is good. I just had a feeling (mistaken, it turns out) that these printed templates were hindering more than helping. I guess I should try it!

Mark B
Likes For bulgie: