Old 12-17-21, 12:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
If you see my post a few posts up I attached pictures of two templates with similar parameters to what Tom had. As you can see the mitre is quite a bit deeper with the accidental almost zero thickness wall compared to 0.9mm.​​
I saw that post and I appreciate it, but it shouldn't throw the angle off. If you make the tube zero thickness, the ID method and the OD method will yield exactly the same result, so it shouldn't throw off the angle. I might do that and compare with the Bikecad template. It's only trees, but I'm sure they would be okay with dying for science.

The thing I never worked out for myself is how to get the angle right when doing this freehand. Someone gave me a really long caliper, so I can mark the length no problem. Except maybe on a mountain bike where I would have to use a tape. I have a pretty good square that came with a protractor, so I guess I could use that, but it works a lot better if the miter is already done. I probably will move to machine tools eventually, because I own them and mitering is a bit tedious sometimes if I'm hungover or in a hurry. I'm sure Mark could miter things faster by hand, but he lives on the other side of the country so I guess you would have to factor the time for shipping if he was going to do it for me.