Old 09-08-21, 08:01 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 310 Posts
Remember this?

That is a very worn out 700CX32 GP5000 on my tandem and it held 90 PSI after I ran that #8 X 1.25" backer board screw into it. With a screw gun... That hole is at least 4mm. I use Orange Seal Subzero which does not plug big holes as well as their other sealants, but works in Fargo winters and takes longer to dry out.

On my road bike I have run 700CX25 either Pro Ones or GP50000s tubeless for three years, and all of the flats I have had were large sidewall cuts like this one

and I would not have ridden those tires with a tube in them. All four went in the bin. My current tires are GP5000. The rear has several gouges that expose the casing, and it holds 100 PSI which I check before every ride with a digital gauge that is within 1% of a calibrated digital gauge. Rolling resistance? Take a look at https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...beless-sealant

Yes, you do need to replenish the sealant periodically. Use a syringe that fits in the valve and it is no big deal. I can accept that tubeless are sometimes hard to install. I have started using a tire mounting lubricant and I use a compressor to seat them, so that is not an issue for me. And I sort of get the folks who are afraid to get their hands dirty or don't want to get orange goo that will wash out in the laundry on their jersey, But can't patch a 0.5 mm hole in the tread? I call BULL SHIRT.
Likes For DangerousDanR: