View Single Post
Old 03-01-24, 07:51 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 116 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1844:

Yesterday I set a new February mileage record. My previous Feb record was set in 2017 when I rode 244 miles. Typically being the worst weather month, February is also my lowest bicycle mileage month. When I got home on Wednesday night (the 28th) I had logged 243 miles, one mile short of my old Feb record. However, this being a leap year, I had an extra day of Feb commuting. So I rode 15 miles yesterday which set my new personal February record at 258 miles.

This morning was glorious. 33°F, the sun was out, and I had a tail wind. When I road out of my driveway I immediately noticed that it smelled like spring. I'm not sure how to describe that smell, but it's very distinctive. I know here in South Dakota we're probably at least 6 weeks away from consistent spring weather, but when we get a bonus early day like this I embrace it.

Yesterday's warm temps (50s) melted off the snow and ice from Tuesday, so I took the road bike. I made it the 4.25 miles to work in under 20 minutes. Only encountered one ice patch I had to cross, but it was short enough that I just pointed my wheels straight and went for it. Made it across without any issues.