Old 04-04-11, 05:42 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
But since someone brought up the Arkel brand - maybe this is a good time to do some direct comparisons as an example because before buying the Voyagers that I currently have, I spent about an hour in the rack / pannier section physically taking apart and testing several different models. The two finalists were the Voyager and an Arkel Bug Convertable both 25 liter and convertable to a backpack.
So the Arkel flunked my requirements simply because the `convertable` part was largely an afterthought and the shoulder harnesses were neither well padded, nor adjustable and lacked the sternum / hip attachments that were on the Voyager. In addition the rain cover was optional on the Arkel and an additional $19.00. The overall build quality of the bag didn`t impress me either.

And even though it doesn`t fit every rack I own and doesn`t have fancy adjustable hardware - it fits every rack I use and does everything I bought it for. Because during the spring detachable fenders aren`t compatable with any rear mounted rack so that bag gets used a lot on my back anyway.
I find the Arkel straps to be very well padded and suitable for the size of the pack and its intended carry weight. I also find the quality of construction to be quite high and well worth the price. Frankly, I would rather pay more for a bag that can be used on multiple racks (since different bikes require different racks) and not buy bags specific to one bike/rack combination.