View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 09:08 PM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Assuming one has a rack, which if the discussion involves panniers as an option, I would assume that, one could always put their backpack in a rear basket.

One advantage that has, if you are going to do some shopping after work, you can put stuff in both the backpack which you wear and then in the basket, which is now empty of the backpack.

The only downside that I can see is that you have the weight of the rear basket.
+1

Having started with a backpack and experiencing it's downsides (sweaty back and weight on my back) I decided it wasn't for me. Went to panniers and experienced all the negatives even though I still favor them for groceries, longer trips and times when I'm carrying more than normal. I now use a basket (on the front, but back basket works too) and am loving it. Can throw whatever I'm carrying (backpack or other small bag) in there and be on my way. I wish I would've started out with this setup. Would've saved me some dough.