Old 03-29-20, 08:46 AM
jdishner

Bikes: Schwin Paramount XL, 2016 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I've been riding the Compass extra light tire in the 32mm size. I was interested to see if I'd have durability problems because of the extra light and supple casing but so far so good. I'm probably at like 1500+ miles so far on them. My suspicion is that with the lower pressure and hence the larger contact page, the actual ground pressure at any given point on the tire that runs over something is lower, so a little less likely to stab on through the tire tread. They were expensive, that's for sure, but I was willing to try them out and see if they were worth it, and so far I've loved them.

The OP was asking about GatorSkins. I think given the photos of his chainstays and fork I think he's going to be very lucky if he can fit a 28mm tire, and I won't be surprised in the least if he's stuck at 25mm max. He may wish to try the GP5Ks as an alternative to the GatorSkins. I rode GatorSkins before I knew any better, but now I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than ride them. Unless the OP rides in an area where someone's riding directly in front of him spreading bushels of caltrops in his path, I'd think he should be able to ride something like a GP5K and be just fine. If I were putting together a bike to be used for casual commuting just a few miles each way on really crappy and garbage-strewn roads, and absolute reliability were the only priority, I might consider the Gatorskins, but for more recreational long-distance riding, no way.
Thank you - you were absolutely right about the GP5KS, I rode them today and they were amazing. Also, thanks for the laugh, the sharp stick comment was good.
Likes For jdishner: