View Single Post
Old 04-10-22, 06:24 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I would think that there should at least be a law requiring cyclists to slow way down when passing buses...seeing as how many pedestrians have been hit by speeding cyclists on MUPs and in crosswalks. Maybe one day I'll get around to checking my own state law on this topic, I do know the laws, in general, but never remember seeing anything about stopping for school buses. I always stop, so whatever the law says I know I'm not outside the law.
Of course this post bugged me, so I re-read my state laws concerning cyclists, to see if they say anything about bikes approaching school buses and there is no Special Regulations, that specifically address that particular scenario. However, they do open with this statement.

That tells me that I am required to stop for school buses; however, I could pass at a very slow speed, based on the very last part of that sentence. Clearly, if I walked my bike I'd be in compliance with the law, but if I rode past, then you're getting into interpretation. I choose to stop and wait.

P.S. In Florida we cyclists are considered a vehicle if operating on the roadways, but not if we're operating on the sidewalk.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

316.2065 Bicycle regulations.—
(1) Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this chapter, except as to special regulations in this chapter, and except as to provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

Last edited by work4bike; 04-10-22 at 06:30 AM.