View Single Post
Old 04-19-24, 12:34 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
Originally Posted by jgf310
A while back I rebuilt my old Specialized Roubaix with an Ultegra R8000 11 speed compact groupset. It previously had an Ultegra 10 speed triple.

I selected the 50/34 compact crank.., and wondered about what cassette to get.

I read that the 11 speed 11-28 and 11-32 were pretty common choices, and then discovered that there is also an 11-30.

So, I went with the 11-30, and got the Ultegra medium cage rear derailleur.

It works fine, except when I am in the small front chain ring, and any of say the three smallest cogs in the back. Then, the chain sags, and in the smallest cog, the jockey wheel actually touches the frame.

now, in the smallest rear cog and the small chain ring, the cross chaining is pretty bad, so maybe that combo should be avoided anyway? but the next two smallest cogs out to be usable - right?

I think the B scew is correctly set, or maybe a bit tight - in the small chain ring, and the big cassette cog, the jockey wheel is no where near the cog.

I am wondering, if I should have the large cage RD.

I don't think I have too many links in the chain.

Here are two pics.

the first shows the bike in the big chain ring, and big cassette cog. I don't think I could have any fewer links.

the second shows the small chain ring, and the smallest cog. The chain is loose, and the jockey wheel is against the frame.

what am i doing wrong?

Something to double check is if the RD is installed correctly. The attachment of the bracket axle unit (the upper link) to the frame's hanger looks a little more vertical than common. And also the cable housing entry angle looks a little more horizontal than usual.

See the pic, the hanger tab should be in the green position. Sometimes it is erroneously installed in the red 'gap' position.