View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 10:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
put some 28mm or so tubulars on and carry 2 extra tires faster flat fix if you get on on the road
Funny you should mention that! First ride on my second pair of tubular wheels - Vitt, Rumino Pro G+ tubbies. Nailed the rear quite literally with a roofing nail. Through the tread. Guessing through the tube twice. Through the base tape and 3/4" into the deep V rim.

I always consider first glue jobs on a new rim as suspect; to be rolled on carefully. Not until I've pulled that tire and seen that the glue has a good bond to the metal do I trust it enough to do hard turns, so this flat was simply a early rim glue check! (And I get to take apart that Rubino and see what the tube is and get a feel for construction quality.)

But the joys of tubular tire changes! I'd forgotten. It was approaching sunset; a nightmare I saw recently with my clinchers - trying to do the repair in waning light and find the cause so I didn't get another in less light. The tubbie? 5 minutes? OK, I was a little clumsy getting the fix gear chain slack so maybe 6. "Oh yeah! This is why I commuted so long on tubulars! Flats don't cost me money at the time clock." Or the need to slide quietly past the manager's office.