Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
This topic touches on the whole culture of consumption anyway, and to be at least aware of buying stuff and crap we don't need it that has a short lifespan.
With bikes, for sentimental reasons I kept my old touring bike, the kuwahara, even fixed it up a bunch of years ago, and since then I stick it on my bike trainer I got ages ok and like keeping the legs going in winter, a nice bonus for cross country skiing and come spring with legs in good shape.
Got a used mtb and used that commuting for ever, now use it as my winter bike, so use my car less even in winter, so win win keeping it.
I have a garage so makes things easier space wise, and repair and cleaning wise, especially for winter riding, washing regularly keeps the bike from rusting all to hell.

So hey, I've got a bunch of bikes, but I use them all, so all's good. And I like to do my own work on them, so that helps heaps of savings.
djb...It's n + 1 when it comes to bikes isn't it??? n being the number of bikes you have currently? I am ready to believe that this is another thing that can be chalked up to bicycle advertising...

Most of my early memories of cycling are pretty pure...my grandmother bought me a bike that had a fake gas tank on it that used to rattle when I went off road in the school yard...but as I got older and became more aware of the outside world I really got swept up in marketing. Now I'm trying to get back to a place where it's all about being on your bike and this forum helps a bit when I can't really travel anywhere. It for me is a good way to cope. I am making progress towards a first tour and hopefully will be able to do something multi day when the gear has my confidence. I'm thinking of staying in Canada and as I've driven across the country in my mid twenties I hope to travel from Toronto to Vancouver. That's the ultimate goal. Who knows when it will happen but you need to have something to look forward to.

I suppose hype has it's place but it's a good thing to be aware of. To each their own.