View Single Post
Old 10-04-21, 10:46 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I'm always amused when tall frames pop up but the seatpost is slammed - like they didn't actually need a bike that tall. Or did an average sized person try to ride it knowing nothing about frame sizes?

(Not implying @non-fixie is guilty here, I realise that image is as received.)
Yeah that's always a bit baffling. I am really proportion-sensitive, so even if I can straddle a 27"/68.5cm frame (which I can, with the bar giving the soft tissue a mild handshake), my saddle is going to be pretty low over the top tube. That's cool but it looks like I pulled my pants up way too high or shirt halfway up my face. 66cm is about the proportional limit for me. High enough to allow a normal quill stem to be used (saddle to brake lever drop won't be huge), but low enough to give me a nice fist full of seatpost (or simply visual "breathing room" for the post and saddle). 66cm Cannondales work, except the 3cm of extended seat tube makes the protruding seat post look quite stubby. Not a good look unless, say, the frame color and seat post matched in color and gloss level. Those big Cannondales are also too long for me, so it's a double no-go anyways.