View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 07:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,877 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It sounds like you are much stronger than me. I am just a randonneur but I have done TABR and other long distance stuff. I used to race Cat 3 when I was younger. I have never really found good studies on long rides. For running, I like Tim Noakes.

I did a 400km brevet in just over 13 hours and ate an average of 150 calories per hour and a little less per hour for 600K in under 24 hours.

It has been my observation that randonneurs who try to eat as much as you suggest end up with nausea and/or puking. I think hyponatremia is at least as common as dehydration and far more damaging. Probably a better place for information on eating and drinking on long events would come from ultra marathoners in the mountains.

If you are talking about a dinky 2-3 hour ride, why bother eating.
I’m talking about the far more common 100 mile GF/Sportive events. Not many people I know ride 400 km non-stop events. The pace would obviously be slower and therefore require a different nutritional strategy. I’m riding 100 mile events in Z2 and Z3, with plenty of surges and climbs at threshold or beyond. 5 to 8 hours in the saddle depending on the course.

I’m not that strong either. I usually finish in the top 20-30%. Respectable yes, but certainly no medals! My average power over 6-7 hours is around 200W and I’m 75-80 kg depending on target event. FTP now around 300W at age 53. In my younger days I was pushing maybe 350W.