View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 02:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I think if riders did not eat so much on short rides, they would be better off. 2 hours is a short ride and a properly fed rider is unlikely to bonk on such a ride. OTOH, the benefits of not eating on such rides are enormou I am not talking about a 2 hour uphill TT, but a normal training ride. I don't know anyone who does a 100 mile sportif in 2 hours. Obviously, a Cat 6 Sportif in the hills requires some fueling.

I think the person who said, "Maybe you are thinking more of the coffee and cake cruisers?" was a bit elitist or snottily suggesting I have no idea what I am talking about. I am pretty sure I have read very extensively on this subject and I am pretty sure most riders are doing themselves a big, fat disfavor listening and applying the misinformation suggested by PeterHski. He suggested eating two powerbars per hour, good luck with that.
That's right, misquote me while simultaneously taking my comments out of context. Top effort 10/10! I just take my nutritional advice from the likes of Trainer Road, Training Peaks coaches and Sufferfest. Maybe they are totally wrong, but their advice serves me well and is largely consistent across those different sources. And just to be clear I wouldn't eat 2 powerbars per hour on a 2 hour easy training ride. But I might well eat the equivalent of that on a hard 6 hour ride beyond the first hour.

The problem with these discussions is that everyone is talking about completely different sorts of rides. Anything from a 2 hour training ride through to a non-stop 1200 km ultra-endurance event. Then, like you just did, they cherry pick information to put down whatever they don't happen to agree with.