Thread: Stove stories
View Single Post
Old 09-16-22, 05:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
In some previous threads over the past few years I mentioned that I have seen some larger RV parks had a small store and sold the tall skinny canisters (I refer to them as the nozzle type canisters, and the shorter squat ones most of us use (I refer to them as threaded canisters) were not sold at all at those RV parks. Thus, I had been thinking about getting an adapter to carry on bike tours if there was a good chance that I would often camp in RV parks.

And yesterday on my way home from my backpacking trip, I stopped at a farm store to buy a few things. Historically that store sold the threaded canisters, then also sold the nozzle type canisters too. Yesterday, they did not sell the threaded canisters at all although they did have a couple stoves on the shelf for the threaded canisters. Now they were only selling the nozzle canisters. I think it is pretty clear that we will see the nozzle type canisters more often over years to come.

In my post number 28 above I said:

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
An FYI, for the past few weeks I was on a backpacking trip, I was curious how the adapters to convert the nozzle type canister to a stove that would be used on one of the threaded canisters. So, I brought a few adapters to try them. They worked great. I will add photos later to this post. Or, I might start a new thread, will decide later. I have a lot of unpacking to do, got home from my backpacking trip last night and unpacking takes priority over digging out my camera for photos.
I plan to start a new thread later, but here are a few photos of what I was trying out and a few remarks. In all cases, I used my Snow Peak stove that I have owned for (I am guessing) a decade and a half. In some of the photos, there is a sock over the canister, it was often in the 40s (F) in the morning and I was trying to keep the canister from getting cold too fast.

This adapter is partly plastic, cost about $10 on Ebay, shipped from Asia. It works and is lightweight.

The adapter beolw is a remote on that puts the canister farther from the burner. The main advantage of this is that it puts the stove MUCH lower. I have somewhere in storage a remote stove stand that used to be sold by Brunton, mine developed a leak so I was happy to find this remote stand that can work with both nozzle type canisters and threaded canisters. Unfortunately, this one fell off of the available list at Amazon, when I bought it the cost was a bit under $25. They have ones like it that only work on nozzle canisters, but I got a remote stand that works with both nozzle and threaded canisters.

In all cases with these nozzle type canisters, the ring on the top of the canister has a square notch cut in it, that notch has to be at the top so that vapor, not liquid comes out of the canister. It is a bit hard to see in the above photo, but there is a notch in that ring at the top. Sometimes the cans are also labled that way, but not always.

The downside of the remote adapter is that it is possible to turn the canister in the adapter so that the part of the canister that is supposed to stay at the top is not at the top, the other two adapters were designed better in this regard.

My Snow Peak stove has an optional wind guard that I sometimes use, it goes just below the burner head. In the next two photos below you can see the advantage of a low mounting remote stand on windy days.

With the stove windscreen below the burner and the separate one around the stove, this is a nice combination in winds.

The above were going to be my two investments into adapters.

But then I saw a third one. I am a retired engineer and I have an appreciation for what appears to be a well designed and manufactured piece of equipement that just screams quality when you look at it. So, I had to pay another $25 for a third adapter, below.

I plan to elaborate further on these later in a new thread. I leave for a canoe trip in two weeks, I will try to get it posted before then.

Note to TCS, I do recall that you previously posted that "nifty little Japanese" stove in a previous thread, and it is a very nice looking stove. But I think most of us would prefer to carry an adapter instead of two stoves if possible, and that stove really does look expensive.

ADDENDUM:

Added a better photo:

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-18-22 at 04:48 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: