View Single Post
Old 02-15-20, 12:51 PM
cheesesandwich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnk3
The deep carbon rims may cause you some concern on windy days. Aero is great going directly into the wind, but they are really annoying, and sometimes dangerous, with side wind gusts.

Rim brakes don't work well on carbon and require special brake pads. Carbon can be fragile. A pothole that would not faze a well made alloy rim may crack or fracture carbon, leaving it dangerous to use. Frankly I wouldn't ride a cheap Chinese carbon rim out my driveway. Not all carbon is created equal. By the way, good carbon rims weigh about the same as good alloy rims, they just don't need as many spokes. But, that is also their weakness. Carbon has a lifespan; ally does not. I have a set of 40 year old alloy rims that have gone many thousands of miles and as true and strong as ever.

Carbon rims are noisy. I can hear them coming from behind me even without my hearing aids.

Try the White Industries T11 hubs. They are smooth, quiet and come in lots of colors.

For a good compromise of aero and strong and long lasting alloy, look at H Plus Son rims, they have a lot of deep options and they make a high quality product as good as HED.
I have looked at the Hplus rims too. But the aero ones are narrow. Wide rims still appeals to me. The carbon rims I chose the 25mm instead of 28mm because I don't have to adjust the brakes when changing wheels. Although they are only 18mm internally, something I have to compromise.