superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
FYI: Colorado Springs' Greenway Trail goes from Downtown Colorado Springs, through the Air Force Academy to Palmer Lake (although I take surface streets usually). There is a county road, which I think is called Spruce Mountain Road. That goes north to Tomah Road (driving I had to detour through Larkspur by the Renaissance Festival and am prepared to bike that if necessary). At Tomah you can cross over to the East side of I-25 to a frontage road with a wide, generous shoulder all the way north to Castle Rock. In Castle Rock there are protected bike lanes and wide shoulders up to Parker and the south end of the Cherry Creek Trail. This avoids riding on shoulderless Hwy 83 which has seen cyclist fatalities over the years, and Hwy 105 which is very scenic, but also lacks a shoulder.
Yes. Avoid 83. And true, 105 is shoulderless, but it's far less trafficked than 83 and popular enough of a route that peeps are generally pretty agreeable. You can now get from Sedalia to Chatfield Res without getting on Santa Fe, I'm sure Riveting will talk all about it

For what it's worth, you can hop on the Plum Creek Trail now as far south as Crystal Valley Parkway, which will get you off the street all the way north of Castle Rock to either Castle View HS, or you can take a right at Hangmans Gulch trail and head East up and over to Founders/Copper Cloud. Then meander on Autumn Sage St. to Castle Oaks Drive and you can hit the Cherry Creek Trail here. Then it's Cherry Creek Trail to downtown. Cake.