Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
It’s very popular, mountain biking is doing better in Japan than most other places. Most of Japan is mountainous, and most people live in the cities. The countryside is pretty empty, and getting emptier as the older people die off, and the younger people move to the cities. There are trails all over the country, from Hokkaido to Okinawa, Japanese people are enthusiastic about anything they can do outdoors. Unfortunately, this means the more famous trails can be pretty crowded.

I like Hokkaido and Okinawa. Hokkaido is large, with very few people, and has amazing scenery. Parts of Hokkaido have become popular with “foreigners” mostly Australians, Canadians, some French and Brits, and a few Americans. The food is amazing, there are lots of places to stay, and it’s easy to get around if you speak English. Okinawa is not as pretty a place, the buildings are all concrete and ugly (because of frequent typhoons), but the beaches are every bit as good as the best here in Hawaii, and it’s easier to drive in Okinawa.

There are trails in Chiba, Saitama, Izu, Nagano, and other places within driving distance of Tokyo.

I ride a road bike in Tokyo, these are smooth, safe, and there are many scenic routes which are not at all crowded. I’m supposed to go to Ibaraki next month if I ever get out of Hawaii.
wow, ok i totally misjudged Japan, never been there or Hawaii. don't think i would wanna leave any of those places living in the cold midwest.

it just seemed to me that mountain biking was mostly an american thing until reading your post, so interesting that it has a foot hold in Japan too. probably the rest of asia, europe, et al are in on it too.

you have a good problem LOL concerning your mtb, i just use a bunch of bikes of all kinds and think nothing of it. getting too old now for my mountain bikes but i keep them anyway, they almost never go bad if you use the Hard Tail MTB as your machine; mine still rides fine from the 80's. been thinking about putting on some city slicker tires on them for a more versatile use.

blessings.

Edit, another thing that interests me about Japan is their agricultural ways, the smaller farms and tractors. i hope it stays that way as it seems that the quality should be very good. i think we can learn from 'you all'.

Last edited by Duo; 07-24-22 at 08:02 PM.