View Single Post
Old 05-30-21, 11:18 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
We have many dumb people in our local and state governments in this country. I first started working with the state division of highways on bike transit planning in 1975 and engineers were putting bike lanes that forced bicyclists to go against the flow of traffic or crossed very busy freeways or in parks where there are pedestrians strolling around. None of that has changed over the past 50 years. In 2019 the city of Pacific Grove decided that there was too much of a risk of a bicyclist colliding with walkers (often with baby strollers or toddlers) on the path and so enacted an ordinance that set the maximum speed for bicyclists at 12 mph.

People walking around are not programmed to look for a moving vehicle of any kind. When the city of Palo Alto in the 1970's enacted an ordinance forcing bicyclists to ride only on the sidewalks the results was a huge increase in collisions between bicyclists and pedestrians. They switched to bike lanes which made the city safer for pedestrians but more hazardous for bicyclists as they continued to let people park their cars on the city streets even where there were bike lanes.

I avoid bike lanes entirely and only use bike paths in areas where I will not find strollers or people with toddlers as it is too far to the nearest parking spots. A mini air horn does help and a bike bell only works if people are not preoccupied with their children or people with whom they are conversing. The air horn has worked well for me with dogs, sheep, and deer, and in an emergency may prevent a collision with a pedestrian.