Thread: black ice!!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-20, 02:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
"Black ice" is an optical effect of ice that has a smooth surface and looks black from a distance, and might not be visible under poor lighting conditions. So really it's about dealing with ice. Riders in my locale seem to have multiple approaches. A lot of riders, including me, use studs. During the winter, my riding is limited to commuting, shopping, etc., so I don't suffer much from the speed loss. I bring out a dedicated winter bike when the salt trucks come out.

But I've noticed that some riders simply use their regular tires and ride more carefully. Maybe they're more agile than I am, and it's not a great loss to walk a bike over the worst patches if you know they're there. And if you're riding a fixed route, e.g., commuting, then you usually know where the ice will build up. There have been a handful of days when an ice storm comes through, and oncoming riders will warn one another about ice by hollering "ice on the bridge" or something like that.

Some riders bring out their fat bikes or big low pressure tires. There may be some N+1 going on here. Do what works for you, try to stay safe. Falling on a lonely bike path is one thing, falling into heavy traffic another. I did once hit a patch of ice and broke a rib.

Riders with off-road skills may be at an advantage. Don't forget the other kind of black ice: Wet leaves.
Likes For Gresp15C: