View Single Post
Old 08-01-22, 01:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I need an inexpensive device that runs Android 9 or newer or iOS 12 or newer (preferably a generation or 2 newer than either of those for future proofing) to run my Zwift Companion App while riding on my trainer using Zwift. They deprecated my old Kindle Fire solution (Amazon's version of Android 5). If I don't want it to use as a phone (reasons for not wanting a cell phone), it looks like my cheapest option would be a 4-5 year old locked phone. I could use a locked phone because all I want it for us to use it on wifi, right?

And yes, I could have googled as well (and I did), but couldn't find someone wanted to do exactly what I wanted to do, so I thought I'd check for verification.

I believe I could also go one step further/cheaper and get a phone with a bad IMEI/ESN because, again, would never be used on a cellular network and only on wifi, but that would probably mean supporting theft, which I don't want to do.
I have an old (retired) phone that would work for you. If you lived nearby I would give it to you. I hate waiting in line at the post office though. There's a good chance if you ask around that you'll find somebody like me with an old phone that has no value to them