Old 06-19-22, 01:02 PM
tairy

Bikes: Peugeot Ventoux, Trek Multitrack 830 (ebike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I just noticed from your pics that your Peugeot Ventoux might have a Stronglight B10 headset that has delrin plastic cups.
You might consider changing it out to a headset with all metal parts, as thd B10 headset tended to flex (And can start cracking from UV deterioration) quite a bit at the cups, which results in a squidgy feeling front end, especially when braking. The Modolo Speedy brake calipers, being quite flexible itself just exacerbates the unprecise feel up front.
Bearing preload on the B10 is also quite difficult to get right as you will usually not be able to get all the slop out of the bearings without causing too much binding/drag.
Best is to replace it with an all steel headset like the one made by Tange (Levin) or if you can swing it, try and find a Stronglight A9 headset, which is dimensionally identical to the B10, but with aluminum cups, instead of Delrin plastic.
I actually wasn't even aware of the headset component on bikes. Would you really consider replacing this?

I bought some Kool Stop brake pads and unfortunately the Modolo Speey's are not improved. I think it's time to move on from them entirely. I'll probably just put them on ebay and get something more modern or maybe check out my local co-op to see if they have any.

Andy_K Thanks for pointing out the issue with my handlebar brakes. It turns out that the brake levers I had on this Peugeot work perfectly with my V-brakes on my new e-bike conversion. It's my first, hey I have some bike parts that aren't working on this bike so I'll use it on this other bike moment. It's also the first time I've had more than one bike.

Here's what it looks like so far. I got these foam cork grips that I can't get off! I just had to see how they looked before I got my new brake levers. Also, I took off the rear rack and the front reflector since taking this photo. I just thought perhaps I should get a stem extender to give this a little rise before I get the brakes installed. And clearly this one needs a bell