View Single Post
Old 02-19-14, 09:12 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Criner
I may get flamed for this, but walk facing the traffic, folks. If there is dirt or gravel next to the trail you should walk on that when the trail is busy. Seriously, whenever possible don't put yourself in a position where bikes are sneaking up on you or slaloming around you. Even a slow bicyclist is going a lot faster than you are walking.

I'm convinced ear buds are a disaster. When walking, running, bicycling your situational awareness is really important. If you have your back to the oncoming traffic and ear buds in, you make yourself sort of blind, deaf and distracted.
As a pavement pounder I am always training facing vehicular traffic. I tried doing so my first time on a MUP but felt extremely awkward and uncomfortable. As soon as I went with the flow, things smoothed out and order was restored. If rules are in place where I must face the cyclists, I will do so. If no rules, I'll keep right, but will also have my eyeglass mirror on.