View Single Post
Old 02-09-22, 06:17 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I have always questioned the necessity for disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) vs. rim brakes. In my opinion it really comes down to the amount of tire that you have in contact with the ground. And that’s where your stopping really happens. Except for in a very few extreme situations, I have always been able to lock up with wheels with my properly adjusted rim brakes. But the amount of tire you have in contact with the ground doesn’t change. Once the wheel is locked up in a braking situation…it doesn’t matter what kind of brakes you have. Your stopping ability comes down to the amount of tire on the ground. Now I said “extreme” situations. If you’re doing a lot of mountainous descents, wet hilly environments, freezing with ice and snow, etc. Certainly you’re better off with disc brakes. But if you’re riding in relatively flat or rolling hills terrain…maybe you don’t ride when it’s wet…what’s the need for disc brakes? Understand that I don’t have anything against them. If you want them…more power to you. But if your rim brakes are properly adjusted and working as they should be, and you ride in an area where they are sufficient…why change?

Dan
wrong thread. please delete
Likes For chaadster: