View Single Post
Old 09-28-22, 02:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8319 Post(s)
Liked 9,126 Times in 4,509 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
There are a couple of places on El P that I walk these days. I haven't been on Burton in 20 years, but I've seen a couple of relatively recent videos that paint pretty clear picture that I should probably stay away. I won't go anywhere near Sam Merrill or Sunset Ridge.

I wasn't really aware of the Red Box-Switzer section of the Gabrielino trail until last week. It looks interesting.
The last 2 times I did the whole Gabrielino we climbed the Toll Road,, which wasn't rideable in parts because of storm damage. We did it in winter and the first time it took 8 hours. The second time was when I crashed and that day it took 7 hours, partly because after crashing I wanted to hurry and get out of there before I started swelling.

In the early 90s we used to shuttle the Gabrielino. I took my ex wife on one of those trips and she was pretty upset with me for that. She had a cheap mtb and no experience with stuff like that. Amazingly she did not crash even though she hit a protruding rock with her shoulder and got a nasty bruise. In fact the only time I ever saw her fall off a bike was when she slipped on ice on a mountain trail.
Likes For big john: