Old 11-23-21, 08:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22584 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Gloves for Sub-Freezing Road Rides? Electric?

I like to ride in the winter, but my fingers always get cold/frozen when temps go below freezing.. I have tried a few "winter" gloves which are fine down to the freezing point, but for sustained temps below freezing my fingers get cold and painful within an hour of riding.

So far, the best solution I have found is winter mittens with glove-liners and a chemical hand warmer. This works great for temps in the teens and twenties, which is pretty much all I need. But....

My frustration is that with mittens I lose a great deal of dexterity for braking and shifting. It's a compromise that I understand I may need to accept, but I am still hopeful I could find a glove that keeps fingers warm and allows the dexterity I miss when going to mittens on those really cold winter rides.

I know pogies/bar mitts are an option, but as a road cyclist I want to be able to use the drops, hoods, and tops....the ones I have seen pretty much force you to use the hoods only.

Last winter I paid a decent amount for cycling specific winter gloves (Castelli Estremo) that were "rated" down to about 20F but they still give me cold fingers below 30F. Phooey!! Adding glove liners seems to add bulk but does NOT make fingers less cold.

I have seen a wide variety of electric heated gloves and am willing to consider them, the prices and online reviews are all over the place.

Suggestions??