Old 02-24-23, 01:35 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
There is no difference between the mind and you, and there is no difference between the mind and the body, it is only one thing, not three. Divisions do not exist outside the mind. So the first step is seeing this, for beginners realize there are not three things but one there. The next thing to see is that when this thing is truly observing, the so-called "mind" disappears. Bicycling has nothing to do with it, during any part of the day, as long as you are observing with at least one sense, preferably as many as possible, thinking will not be there. This was your state right after you were born, but you learned to exist in a mode of thought instead of observation. With practice you can go the other way and learn to quit the mode of thought and be in a mode of observation normally. This is not saying you will never think, but thinking is overrated and actually destructive when it is used as a mode of being. When thought is useful as a tool, it is to be taken out of the box, used to get a task done, then put away when the task is finished. Most of the actions you take during the day can be done without thought at all, and that is peace not only when you are riding, but also sleeping, walking, catching a baseball etc.. Good Luck.
Ok, I guess I'll be a contrarian here - with no malice intended, just a different perspective. I find my mind and body to be quite separate (in a good way!) and I find thinking to be underrated and quite constructive as a rule.

Sure, there are times when I'm out on my bike and not much is going through my mind - I guess this is the observation mode you're referring to, and it can be enjoyable for a while. But far more often, and usually far more pleasurable to me, riding is a great way for me to occupy enough of my conscious mental processes so that the rest of my mind can run free. This can take the form of music running through my head, or light-hearted reminiscing, or idle thoughts about things I see while I'm riding. Often, though, it's a mental space where I'm free to process things that are going on in my life, interactions I've had recently, decisions I need to make, or the like. I find this space to be incredibly freeing and helpful, full of clarity and creativity that is sometimes otherwise elusive in my busy life. Rides like this are filled with reflection, prayer sometimes, and are a place of great peace for me. I wouldn't give up that experience of conscious thought for the world.
Likes For retswerb: