Old 04-07-21, 02:11 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I wouldn't spend what they are asking - no, gouging, for a Park Tool torque wrench. I have three Harbor Fright torque wrenches, a 1/4", a 3/8", and a 1/2". They seem as good as the Park Tool wrenches at a fraction of the price. I've used these wrenches for various things over the years, and I have to say that they work just fine. A torque wrench is used for being sure that you have enough torque on a fastener to hold it in place, but not more than it needs. Most cheapo torque wrenches will do the job on a bicycle admirably. My son-in-law was a professional diesel mech before he became a humvee and equipment mechanic for the USMC. His tools are worth more than my truck! He has the very expensive digital torque wrenches, which are an absolute joy to use, but they do come dear. I think the point I'm trying to make here is that if you are a pro, then go pro. If you want a torque wrench for the home shop, and no one's life is at stake, then get a "regular quality" torque wrench and you'll be fine.