Thread: Tandem pricing
View Single Post
Old 08-30-21, 05:18 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
I bought both our tandems used. In both cases, I got tired of watching Craigslist and eBay and seeing the silly prices people were asking. This was pre-Covid. In general, people even then wanted way too much for their used bikes, tandem or single.
So I put ads in Craigslist: "Wanted, a used Blah Blah Tandem at a reasonable price." Then I waited. Eventually, people called me who had tandems in their garages but didn't want to bother with the hassle of listing them.
Our first was the 2000 Santana Sovereign, in very nice shape and including a rooftop carrier. $1,100.
Our second was the 2005 Co-Mo Speedster Co-Pilot (with S&S couplers), which we just rode 3,800 miles cross-country this summer. It was in nice shape, with wound-up carbon front fork, Rolf wheels and a second set of Co-Mo touring wheels, two travel cases, an extra bottom bracket and a bunch of other stuff. $2,500.

Last edited by sapporoguy; 08-30-21 at 11:14 PM.