View Single Post
Old 01-02-23, 06:59 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Thanks for the info. Though wouldn't this be one of the inherent advantages of 3D printing? Ie. couldn't programming yield every saddle coming out of the process customized on 1-1 basis with who ordered it and their dimensions?
theoretically yes, practically, i'm not sure how you'd ascertain all the correct dimensions. the methods used to measure sit bone width are pretty primitive and give you just one bit of data - the center to center spacing of the sit bones, which corresponds roughly to the width of at least one part of the saddle. but the rest of the butt is soft tissue, and i'm not sure what various dimensions, could they even be obtained, would say about the saddle geometry. and, of course, building a parametric model of the many-layered honeycomb structure of the 3d printed seat would be no joke, especially with more than a few parameters. then you have printing to order, idling time on very expensive machines, increased returns, i bet such a thing would cost thousands of dollars with the current tech.