View Single Post
Old 12-09-12, 07:38 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Those look worth exploring, although I don't know they go up to my severe shortsightedness. I wonder if they ship to Canukistan.

Let me clarify.

If I am going to ride with glasses rather than with contact lenses, I will need prescription sunglasses.

My debate is whether these prescription sunglasses need to be bifocal/progressive, and whether it's even possible.

The joys of getting older.
I've been very nearsighted and somewhat astigmatic since 5th grade (have only been able to focus about 7 inches from my face!), and have worn glasses since then. Now my eyes' ability to change to focus on different distances is nearly nil, so I need multi-range lenses, aka progressives. When I bike I need to look in my long distance range to see the road, traffic, signs, et cetera. I also need a middle range to read my bike computer, HRM, and maps. I have no need for a close distance book-reading lens on the bike.

I'm in the middle of hand-fitting some special struts to put a Mark's Rack on a bike, and I need to do all that essentially without glasses. If I did more fine, exacting mechanical work these days I'd need some special glasses with a large near-field lens.

Mrs. Road Fan bought a set of biking specs with dark wrap-around lenses and her progressive prescription. I tell her she now looks like Tom Cruise or Cycling Woman in Black (CWIB), but its actually quite a hot look on her. She'd have never tried them 10 years ago! And she has no more issues with eye-watering while biking. We didn't look into Transition lenses - I think she heard they are not effective for very bright sunlight.