Old 11-29-05, 01:56 PM
CapeRoadie
Directeur Sportif

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke
okay, cape. let's talk lifting from both a general health and a cycling viewpoint, and see what you think. i'm looking at an article that says you want to do multi-joint exercises (whatever that is). it goes on to say that if you lift, there are four multi-joint exercises you need to do above all others; pull-ups, squats, bench presses, and deadlifts. do you buy all that? i've also been toying with the idea of buying a home machine to do my lifting and get rid of the club membership. if you agree with the above stuff, it seems to me i wouldn't even have to buy a large home machine. all i would need would be a bench, a tall rack for bench presses and squats (maybe with pull-up handles on it), a bar or two, and some weights. does this sound reasonable?
I like pull-ups, squats and dead lifts (esp. RDLs), but I think push-ups are better than bench presses, although it's hard to convince coaches of that. Need more weight for a push-up? Just add plates! Use a spotter. Want instability with your push-ups? Do them on medicine balls or Swiss balls. Want to run faster? Try one-legged squats instead of squats. After all, you don't hop on two feet when you run. Want to run downhill better? Do lunges and walking lunges. Want a better hamstring exercise than prone hamstring curls? Do bridges on a Swiss ball. Need more weight? Add plates. Use a spotter. I'll tell you this: EVERYTHING starts with core strength. You can't even blink an eye unless transverse abdominus is contracting. Most people don't do an abdominal hollow (or draw-in) correctly. Even some Pilates instructors I've treated don't have it right. Who taught me? For one, Gwen Jull. Just do a PubMed search on her...she's great!