Old 05-06-19, 10:44 AM
EE_Phred

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycliq Support? Not so much

In October of 2018, I purchased a Cycliq Fly12CE from the Cycliq Online store. For a while, the Fly12 worked well - there was an instance where the battery would discharge too quickly, but that *seemed* to be resolved by an SD card format and a firmware update. Cycliq's support during that issue was very responsive.

Fast forward to last month, when after a 2 month hiatus from outdoor riding I fired everything up for a ride. After a full night charging (with a green charge light) I powered up the Fly12 and it stayed powered on for 30 seconds than powered back down. Nothing I could do would change this. I reached out to Cycliq support, and within 12hrs I received a canned message from "Justin" asking me to do a bench test consisting of powering up the unit and letting it sit until the battery drained. I was quite clear in my original email that the unit would not stay powered up for more than 30 seconds. I replied to that email saying I could not do the "bench test" because power would not remain on for more than 30 seconds. I followed that up with another email containing a quick (40 second) video showing the progression from fully charged Fly12 to power up then down within 30 seconds.

From the original email, I have heard nothing back from Cycliq. It has been 12 days, and nothing. I even opened up another trouble ticket (after 6 days) directing their attention to my original trouble ticket. It was summarily dismissed and ignored. I would be OK if there was an explanation for the delay, or that they were working on it, but nothing. I've sent several inquiries - all ignored.

I am not optimistic that I will see a satisfactory resolution to this situation. I now have a $270 pile of junk sitting on my desk - one that Cycliq does not seem to be interested in supporting. Worse, I am now fielding questions from my wife about how much money I've seemed to have "wasted" on this item. Yeah, good times.

Basically, I have written my Fly12CE off as well as Cycliq. It is a shame really, because when it worked, it was really good, and there does not seem to be anything else in the market that combines the form factor, headlight, and video together in such an elegant manner. But it has to work.

Last April, I was run over by a hit and run driver and I had zero video evidence to go after the clown that did it. I regard a working video camera as just short of a necessity for my rides after that fiasco - not for protection, but to provide myself (or my heirs) some ability to go after the next criminal that does that.

So, I would like this statement of facts to be available to anyone else considering a similar product. As of now, I cannot recommend the item I have or the manufacturer.

Should this change, I'll gladly update this post.

Mikey