Old 08-22-21, 09:17 PM
Not2Bright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thoughts on Shimano Sora Groupset for a New Bike

Having started riding more the past two years I have gotten to the point I want a new bike more suitable for longer road rides. I have been riding a couple of bikes with 3x9 Shimano MTB gearing and even an old Fuji Marlboro folding bike that was fitted with a 42-32-22 crankset with the original 14-28 freewheel. My 2007 Fuji Touring is the closest thing to a road bike but I put a 44-32-22 crankset on that for climbing ability so I really want a faster bike but don’t want to spend a fortune. I am thinking entry level endurance bikes with a compact crank and 11-32 or 11-34 cassette in a 9 speed Shimano Sora groupset.

Bike shops want me to go up to the 105 groupset. I am very happy with the 9 speeds I have and don’t see the need for 11 and don’t want to spend the extra $ for 2 extra cogs between the 11 and 32 in the rear. They also claim better overall quality but I wonder if I would appreciate it enough to justify the cost.

I ride mostly for fun and exercise, mostly alone and half my rides are 40 miles long or a little longer. This year should hit 4,000 miles but this is not going to be the norm going forward, probably 2,000 or so will be the average yearly total. I am looking for a dependable, comfortable, and faster bike than what I currently ride. Not worrying about a few seconds here and there just getting the job done.

Any input especially from riders who have ridden various Shimano groupsets from the bottom to the top of the range. Am I kidding myself thinking I will be happy with yet another 9 speed?