View Single Post
Old 09-01-21, 04:15 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Ummm .... yeah capitalism is Not in any way about choices .... it is about using capital to make more capital. The choices are made by the person with capital, who chooses what products to offer at what price point t maximize profit.

If it was all about choices, I'd be able to choose to buy 6800, or Sora DI. Shimano isn't interested in giving me choices, it is interested is selling what can be sold in a balance of production/supply cost, volume, and cost, to maximize profit.

In any case .... it's just BF. Nothing we say or do here matters all that much.
It is definitely about choices. Choosing to buy something sends a message, while being content with what you have because it meets all of your needs also sends a message in the sense that no message of preference is being registered. I am ONLY talking abut how we, as consumers, impact these firms. As you say their goal is to take capital and make more of it, how do you think they decide to do it? Easy answer, through our choices, more specifically he ones they can measure. When we choose to be content with what we have (which is just fine), we are not making a choice they can measure. But, when we choose to buy mechanical over electronic, or rim over disc, they can measure that. That is what I am getting at. So when people bemoan the shift to all electric, or a near total shift to disc over rim, I am here to remind us all that the isn't happen because it a capricious decision, it is driven by what was bought by those who chose to buy.