kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Mechanical discs aren't that bad. A friend of mine has them on his fat bike and they work pretty good.
Mechanical disks are that bad. I have BB7's on one of my bikes, and they are terrible. They don't expose their full crappinesss until you ride them a few hundred miles in the rain, so my suspicion is that most people don't ride their bikes enough to ever realize just how crappy they are. My wife has them on her bike and they have been fine because she only rides her bike a few hundred miles a year and only in nice weather. The exact conditions in which rim brakes would be perfectly adequate, cheaper, lighter and less maintenance.

Originally Posted by prj71
Reality still is that rim brakes are going away on future bikes. So you might as well embrace the better stopping power and the ability to run wider tires. 700 x 32 on my Trek Domane are sooooooo comfortable.
Rim brakes are never going away on my bikes, so if that's what shimano and the bike marketing companies decide to spec on their bikes, I won't buy from them. Just means I have fewer choices, not zero choices, and I don't need disk brakes to run wide tires. That's 100% pure marketing.