View Single Post
Old 10-03-21, 04:56 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Rans is still making bikes today according to Bicycleman
RANS is no more. The remaining company is only making the Phoenix and no longer supports legacy models such as the Stratus. So if you are looking at one of those make sure it is a late issue (probably red) with the four bolt forged riser (rather than the two bolt, which does not support chopper bars very well) and closed end seat struts because you might not be able to upgrade them. (Personally I haven’t had any problems so far with the open ended struts on my XP but IIRC others complained about them.)

Four bolt riser (obviously!)

Underside obsolete, crappy two bolt riser:

Open ended seat strut on earlier Stratus XP:

Closed seat strut on later model Stratus LE:

Also, check out this memory foam cushion. Looks like it is currently OOS but that occasionally happens. Can be strapped around the RANS seat back to stay in place and will keep the OEM seat pad from wearing out. I couldn’t ride any of my ‘bents without it. There’s another, strapless cushion on Amazon that might be even better for prostate problems, if you can get it to stay in place atop the ‘bent’s seat pan.

With its steel frame and fork, the Stratus LE makes a good candidate for e-assist conversion as well. Just be advised that due to an across the board issue with RANS, the rear dropout slots do not allow for a rear hub motor with squared off axle, so your options would most likely be limited to a front hub or mid drive (I used both.)

Best of luck on your quest, Andy.

Last edited by andychrist; 10-03-21 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Pics!