View Single Post
Old 11-17-21, 05:05 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Casual ride = relaxing fun

I took my Schwinn SS DBX out for a casual ride today. I had a couple of errands/visits to do. I was paying no attention to speed, time or distance. I was having such a good, relaxing time I just wanted to continue in that mode. I made other stops besides the errands/visits. I stopped at the Bethany Beach boardwalk for a while and just looked at the ocean and sky for awhile. Also took a picture of the bike in its latest set up. Other stops I made were: at home for lunch and switch to lighter clothes; to watch a hawk, I think a red shouldered hawk, working a section of wetlands; and to watch a small flock of wild turkeys working the edge of a field. I tried to get a picture of the turkeys, by the time got stopped and got ready to take a picture, they were in cover at the edge of the woods, ergo, they cannot be seen in the picture. I also saw a '64 rag top GTO cruising north on Ocean highway. The 64 hardtop is one of my favorite vintage muscle cars. I have no idea when I last saw one with a rag top. I also stopped at a friends house to see a really nice buck he shot this morning. I did not actually see the deer, just a picture.

I wound up getting in 42 miles with a total time of close to 5 hours. It was a wonderful ride and a great way to spend a beautiful fall day. I love riding the Schwinn, it is a very good multi-purpose bike. I have had it now since it was new in 2006. It is the first bike of mine with dual control shift/brake, also disc brakes. There is a lot of good in having a bike that you just jump on and can go, knowing it can handle the road, gravel, light trails and, of course, the MUP's, which I do not do that often. It just might be, dollar for dollar, the best bike purchase I ever made. The Tiagra 4400 group has been terrific, the wheel set has never been worked on, and still rolls smooth and easy. I use 25mm up to 38mm tires and think up to true 42mm would fit.

I am going to try to remember to do this more often. Tomorrow is looking like low 70's, it will be a good day for packing a lunch and taking another long, easy going, stress less ride on my Schwinn. I'll ride different, unspecified areas, and throw in some trails. Now the obligatory picture.

I love this bike!