Old 11-22-21, 09:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think an IGH with a rear derailleur makes more sense than front derailleur, unfortunately the Sram Dual Drive is no longer sold, but I am told that Sturmey Archer makes a similar hub. I have a Dual Drive on my folding bike, the IGH gives me 3 speeds, the cassette is eight speeds, so I have 24 gears.

What is your goal?
The goal would be a loaded touring bike based on a converted rigid mtb I already have. Steel frame, easy to cold set. As it is I have what I want in terms of bikes for regular road touring and off road touring so there isn't much practical need for building yet another platform in those areas. However, I have a good frame and lots of parts to build a conventional four pannier bike so without practical considerations I can experiment a bit. Boredom with derailers makes me look to something different but not so far as the expense of a Rohloff because I doubt I would ever use such a bike to its fullest extent.

I've have several SA hub'd bikes and like the simplicity of design so I could just go with that but I think the restricted range would be a bit of a pita for loaded touring on steep sustained hills. Most everything I do seems to involve a mountain pass of some sort. A hybrid double/triple IGH would be fun to build and withinin my experimental price range.

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pr.../detail/rx-rd5

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-22-21 at 09:59 AM.