Old 11-23-21, 11:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Off the top though, if we use the 1.9 ratio as a limit, what would the best combination be to allow the climbing of steep hills fully loaded while still not over stressing the hub? What would one choose for the Rohloff? I am admittedly, not a gearing expert.
I think Sturmey Archer instructions should be used, if any.

My Dual Drive, if I recall the only constraint from Sram was that it should not be used on cargo bikes, but your Sturmey Archer link said the Sturmey Archer was designed for heavy duty use.

The Rohloff has a third planetary gear that acts as a low range, so the Rohloff can put a lot of torque onto the non-drive side of the frame. Sturmey Archer can't put that much stress on the frame because the gear range is much smaller. If you took that Sturmey Archer five speed and added a low range to it so that it was a 10 speed, and the lowest 5 speeds were in the low range and your existing 5 speeds would be the high range, that is basically what Rohloff did. The Rohloff is 14 speeds, gear 11 is direct drive.

I would think that a 30T chainring and 20T sprocket like I used in the calculator would work ok, but I still think it would be a good idea to verify with Sturmey Archer that it would not over stress the hub.