cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I had some pedals that were tiny, I think for city or folding bikes, or kids. let me look them up real quick…

Wellgo R146.

I’m not recommending these, they are tiny! And your problem sounds like it’s with you and not pedals. But they fit your brief

Untitled by Darth Lefty, on Flickr
[/QUOTE]
WOW! truly Tiny, in a width sense... I hadn't come across this one yet... Certainly might be worth a try/experiment - can be had for $35...
Depends how well the studs grip...under a decent stiff shoe there might be just enough to grip...
I'm gonna try a range of pedals/widths and try to find one which is a good compromise. I'll post about these Wellgos, when I give them a good test.
My Technique? sure, always in question; but the places where the width is an issue is a 'spacial' thing. Most of these tight troughs/rock sections are on some slope, so going down you can make it through by staying in ready/attack pedal position. But going UP, you have to pedal, and as soon as you do, you get immediate pedal strike, and if hard/deep enough you just stop dead... There's no way to get around a 15 ft tight/deep trough - espcially since you can't go around because of tight, 'ribar like' vegetation (our chaparral/brush is really tough and body piercing...)
I'll try to remember to take some pics, when I go through those sections.
Trails in the Southern Los Padres are either fire 'roads' (read : rocky, deep, loose dust/dirt, steep, unmercifully hard on wheels and body when you make mistakes) or Steep, rocky SIngletrack, with usually only one line option... most of it not great for fast descending, if you're not bulletproof & Invincible... (which I am most certainly not) LOL! But I do like riding the technical stuff, at my speed and level... I leave the really go-for-broke DH stuff to the younger riders...
Unlike the sierra's/Mammoth, there are very few places you can have open 'trail' type riding, in the Los Padres...
Ride On
Yuri