View Single Post
Old 11-28-21, 03:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Markert Bike

I did more changes on the Schwinn. It now has racks and baskets on the front and back. I had been looking for baskets that were not too big or heavy. I found some on Sierra Trading Post for $15 for the two of them. They are really just kitchen storage type baskets, but just what I was looking for. I have them mounted on the bike with smallish, light weight racks, and zipped tied to the racks. I left my house this morning, at just after 9, with clothes for adapting to warming up, a light lunch and a couple of bottles of water. I got back home about 2:30, having stopped a few times, including the grocery market for some items I needed for dinner tonight.

The racks and baskets work very well. I have them mounted as low as I can, spread the weight out evenly and they are solid and stable. I have bungee nets to cover the baskets to hold anything in. Today was kind of a test stop at the market. I think I can get enough supplies to last for 3 or 4 days on one trip, if necessary.

So, I got in 45 miles with some of it being through Assawoman Wildlife Refuge, a really nice 5 mile gravel loop. One day soon, I plan on leaving the house 30 before sunrise so I can catch it in Bethany Beach, then spend the rest of the day riding where ever I wind up going. I plan on taking clothes for changes of weather and enough fuel/fluids for the whole day, catch the sunset over the bay, and be home before total dark. Right now that would mean being out for 9.5 hours. No goal for miles or speed, just spend the whole day casual cycling.

Of course, I took a few pics today.

refuge looking NE from Strawberry Landing

refuge looking SE from Mulberry Landing, OC, MD in the distance.

Strawberry shelter

Mulberry shelter
Likes For delbiker1: